Monday, September 16, 2013

Exciting Jadeite Rummage Find!

Last week my mom and I stopped at a rummage sale (as we often do) and one of the most beautiful set of dishes I have ever seen instantly caught my eye! They were a stunning milky, minty, green color and obviously antique.  I had never seen them before, but in my head I was dating them to the glamorous 1940's.






I was disappointed when I realized that there was not enough of any one item to even get a set of four.  I had concluded to leave them there, but I could not bring myself to walk away from such pretties! I  finally caved and pulled together a mismatched set of salad plates and bowls, telling myself that maybe someday I would run into more.




We got them home and unwrapped them and oh! I loved them soooo much more in my own house!


We set them out on the little black chest in our back hall to admire them and they looked so cute there we haven't moved them.  I just might have to leave them there for a while. 



Then..... I decided to look them up online to find some information.  I learned that Fire King produced these dishes from 1942 to the 1970's and that they are widely collected.  Even Martha Stewert collects them!! They named the color Jadeite which has actually become the term to describe that color in anything.  

My reaserch showed that by looking at the label on the dishes you could find the period that they were made in.  Mine says "oven fire king ware, made in USA" with the "Fire King" in scripted letters.  This means that the dishes that I brought home were actually made in th1950's, so I was off by a few years in my predictions at the rummage sale.


Oh and look how pretty they look in a place setting!!!


I can't wait to have an excuse to entertain with my new antique dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment